Tuesday, March 6, 2012

**DISCLAIMER** (I do not mean to refer to ALL parents in this way, but most I have come into contact with)

picking up their slack i mean? like not getting as many excusable sick days cause we dont have johnny kindergartner at home with the flu, Or being expected to babysit, Or having to be their therapist because all they ever want to do is COMPLAIN about this that and the other thing, or being labeled as a "bad friend" if you decline to go to YET ANOTHER birthday party where you have to stuff down another slice of crappy chucky cheese pizza give your gift and listen to a bunch of parents (who used to be able to hold a conversation that didn't include the words binky and tushie) ramble on about every little detail of the parental cycle. OH and the WORST thing "When are you gonna settle down and be as happy as us?" or being labeled as "reckless" because you (like them before the kid popped out) like to go out and have a good time on the weekends with your unshackeled friends.|||Absolutely. Especially since I'm married I keep getting the "so when are you two going to have children...." comment. Nobody ever stops to think that perhaps we are unable to have children. In such a case, it's like salt in a wound. I know they mean well, but that doesn't stop my wife from bawling when we get home. A word to others, never ask a couple when they're going to have children. If they are unable, your question will be most unwelcome.|||I do find myself making sure to avoid some of the "parental" social occasions. I don't like children, I'm not going to have any, and I don't much care to spend time that focuses on them. I just try to be selective about what time I spend with my friends who have children, and find times that don't include the wee little nippers. Works out best for us all, in the end.|||FINALLY SOMEONE WITH LOGIC ON THEIR SIDE!!!!|||I am not offended at all by this question and I am a parent. I feel the same way. I wish I could go out and have the good times that I did have but again I don't miss the hang over. In all honesty we parents even have to pull the slack for other parents. Don't get me wrong I am not a saint but I have a co-worker that is never here it is one kid or the other not to mention her husband, elderly father, sick mother or even dog. So you are not in the boat alone and we all can feel that way.|||Well so far none of my friends have kids yet, but today at work there was this kid crying so LOUD (very annoying) and again I told myself "That's why I don't have kids, they are annoying!"
Kids? Not for me.|||Well, I am a parent- and I am glad you said not all parents, because we are not all like that. I think it is very important for my balance to be a working mother (not the stay at home working kind) and to continue my friendships with my single, childless friends.

As far as excusable sick days at work- mothers are statistically paid less than non-mothers, even when they put in equal work and are equally educated- so I wouldn't worry too much about comparing sick days. However, men who are married with children make more than single men, and more than women with or without children. Go figure!

However, it is hard to have conversations without mentioning my daughter, partly because I love being a mom, and she is a major, in fact the best reason I can think of to be alive on this planet. That being said, if you don't like hanging out with the parent groups- then find some more friends like yourself that have more in common with you. I had to find friends that were parents so that I would have the support and friendship I needed as a parent- so it goes both ways.

Kudos for staying on birth control if you don't want kids. I totally respect any persons decision to be a parent, or not to be a parent. And having kids when you DON'T want them is a big mistake. You have to find your balance as a woman- and that is whatever you choose for yourself, no matter what the trend is.|||If you can have kids, I think it's a mistake to consciously decide not to have them. Don't ask me how to explain it - you can only understand after you have your own kid. JMHO.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment